Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bruno Mars: the Minor Prophet

I recently read through the book of Hosea so when I saw this post over on the MH Eternal site I had to read it.

They make a good point that Bruno Mars' song "Grenade" is a good modern illustration of the book of Hosea.

Normally I read things like this and I just roll my eyes. Too often we try and tie secular things to the Holy and it ends up being a BIG stretch. But there is something different about this one.

First, I LOVE this song. It's catchy as heck. Are the lyrics a little cheesy? Sure, but I don't even care.

Hosea is an amazing story about a totally unfaithful woman named Gomer with "questionable morals" who is taken and loved unconditionally by Hosea. Despite the unfaithfulness of Gomer, Hosea remained faithful.

As I read the lyrics to Grenade and remembered this story, I thought...you know...this actually does kind of fit. Is it a total retelling? No, obviously not. But if you were teaching on this and were looking for a modern illustration, I think it would work pretty great.

Read the article over on MH Eternal that I linked above for their entire post and the lyrics to the song as well as another brief recap of Hosea.

Also, here is a link to my favorite cover of this song on YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, thanks for the shout-out! Yeah, I've really been stewing on the whole Hosea story, and while I too think the cultural stretching can be lame, I agree, this was different. Thanks for vibing with it! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete