Wednesday, July 6, 2011

God seems to know what He is doing

Tonight I went to Blockbuster Video to rent a documentary (i LOVE documentaries). After browsing their selection for a few minutes I decided on a movie called The Bridge that I have wanted to see for a while. I grabbed the video, checked out and headed home.

Once home I realized that I had somehow NOT grabbed The Bridge and instead ended up with a movie called Born Into Brothels. There are very few documentaries that I don't enjoy so I decided not to return the movie, but instead to watch it.

Within minutes of the opening I was SO glad I kept the movie.

It is a documentary about a photographer who goes into Calcutta and teaches photography to the children in the area. She gives them cameras and teaches them the basics of photography. This art quickly becomes an escape and a way out of the slums and the prostitution that many had been in.

The creativity and talent that these children showed was amazing. Having their own camera and being able to "create" was such a point of pride for them, you could see the joy on their faces as they used their new talent.

As I watched this movie I got to thinking about the 3 or 4 older digital cameras that we have lying around our house and I wondered if they could be used for something like this. I went online and found a great list of organizations on the Kids With Cameras website and I found several that were seeking cameras for similar projects around the world. I selected one, got their address and tomorrow will be mailing a box of cameras to an organization that will be able to use them to make a real difference in the lives of underprivileged children around the world.

I am thrilled that a "mistake" at the movie store led to a great opportunity to share what we have and hopefully provide a skill and hope for a child somewhere.

God seems to know what He is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment