Thursday, July 14, 2011

Where is my heart?

This morning I was reading from the book "Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals" and I came across this quote from Shepherd of Hermas, whose second-century writings were cherished by early Christians.

“You know that you who are God’s servants are living in a foreign country, for your own city-state is far away from this City-state. Knowing, then, which one is to be your own City-state, why do you acquire fields, costly furnishings, buildings, and frail dwellings here? Instead of fields, buy for yourselves people in distress in accordance with your means. It is far, far better to buy this kind of field, property, or building, which is quite different and which you can find again in your own City when you come home. This ‘extravagance’ is beautiful and holy; it brings no grief and no fear; it brings nothing but joy.”

I then went to do some reading from the Bible. I am re-reading Matthew in preparation for an upcoming series at Church, and what do I read today?

"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:20-21

I struggle with things like materialism and consumerism. I know that nothing I buy, acquire, make or purchase here is of real value. I know that what is eternal is what is important. Yet what I know with my mind is not often enough lived out with my life.

I have bought into the "better than most" lie. In regards to giving? Probably better than most. In regards to our time? Probably better than most. In regards to helping others? Probably better than most. But is better than most the goal? Is that enough? It sure doesn't feel like it.

If where my treasure is truly defines where my heart is, then far too often my heart is focused on me.

Where is your heart?

My prayer is that we would be people that, "Instead of fields, buy for yourselves people in distress in accordance with your means." May we use our time, talents, treasure and touch towards the things that truly matter and may our heart be found in things that last.

No comments:

Post a Comment